Earth Wind and Fire (アース・ウインド・アンド・ファイヤー Āsu Uindo Ando Faiyā) is the name of Mikitaka Hazekura's power, featured in Diamond is Unbreakable. It is currently unknown if Earth Wind and Fire is a Stand or an alien ability due to the mysterious origins surrounding its user Mikitaka.
Like all abilities directly conferring supernatural powers to their users, Earth Wind and Fire doesn't actually possess a physical form: instead, it is bound to its user's body.
As a result of Mikitaka's self-proclaimed alien identity, there is speculation regarding the true nature of Earth Wind and Fire and its origin. Due to the circumstances surrounding Mikitaka and the author's own purposeful ambiguity, it is currently unknown if it is an alien ability or a Stand. A notable point to this discussion is the fact that Mikitaka seems to not be able to see Stands, like when Josuke uses Crazy Diamond to test this very property. Since all Stand Users can see Stands, Mikitaka either acts as though he cannot see them (which he has very little reason to do), or truly can’t. In that case, Earth Wind and Fire is not a Stand Ability.
Mikitaka's Earth Wind and Fire is a harmless shapeshifting power whose usefulness is mitigated by Mikitaka's eccentricity.
Earth Wind and Fire allows Mikitaka to transform into any object.
When transforming, Mikitaka decomposes himself into a cluster of strips of an unidentified substance before recomposing himself into an object of his choosing, replicating its appearance, weight, and texture. He is also able to split himself mid-transformation so as to form several objects, such as splitting himself in two to become a pair of sneakers.
When transformed into an object, he also takes on the properties of the object. For example, morphing his hand into an ice cream cone will make it cold, and morphing himself into a pair of binoculars enables him to observe things from afar. He can also partially undo the transformation.
Although he can theoretically perfectly replicate objects, Mikitaka is subjected to several limitations.
- Firstly, he cannot reproduce complex items like machines or something that requires more strength than his own to operate.
- Secondly, Mikitaka considers all humans to look the same and cannot be subtle enough to copy someone's appearance.
- Thirdly, he must have a precise idea of what he's transforming into, lest his replication end up largely inaccurate (eg. Morphing into a gigantic die because he did not know that dice are supposed to be small).
- Fourthly, Mikitaka is still subject to his bodily weaknesses: being thrown around as dice makes him sick and he will throw up, ruining the masquerade.
- Finally, Mikitaka's requires some amount of concentration to operate; if he panics when hearing a siren, he loses control over his power and the shapeshifting becomes random, eventually forcing Mikitaka into his human(oid)/original form.
More importantly, Mikitaka's own ignorance about Earth and human society signifies that he has no idea how he is supposed to act, and when transformed can easily act suspicious.
Earth Wind and Fire seems able to combine its strength with those of other people: when Mikitaka turned into sneakers for Josuke to wear, he notes that their strength combined is what made them able to move so fast.
Chapters / Episodes
Chapters in order of appearance
Episodes in order of appearance
- Hirohiko Araki mistakenly used the name "Earth Wind and Fire" again in Stone Ocean for the name of Viviano Westwood's Stand when the chapter was published in Weekly Shōnen Jump (the name was written slightly different in Japanese). For the tankōbon release, this Stand was renamed "Planet Waves".
- Despite having what is potentially a Stand, Mikitaka cannot see others' Stands.