- This article is about episode one of the OVA. For the first episode of the TV Anime adaptation, see Episode 1.
The Evil Spirit (ADVENTURE1 悪霊 Adventure 1 Akuryō) is the first episode of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA. It adapts Chapter 114 through Chapter 117 along with a scene from Chapter 121 of the manga.
Jotaro Kujo refuses to leave his jail cell, believing that he is possessed by an evil spirit (later revealed to be a "Stand"). When Jotaro's mother, Holy, his grandfather Joseph Joestar and the mysterious Muhammad Avdol come to try to coax him out, a battle erupts between two Stands—Jotaro's "Star Platinum" and Avdol's "Magician's Red". Afterwards, the gang travel back to Jotaro's house where Joseph tells them the story of their ancestor, Jonathan Joestar and the Joestar family's fate against Jonathan's adopted brother and eternal enemy--DIO. Joseph demonstrates his Stand, Hermit Purple and hands Jotaro a spirit photo of DIO, informing the group of DIO's subsequent resurrection after his coffin was discovered in the ocean. Jotaro uses Star Platinum to scan the photo and uncovers a fly native to Egypt, a vital clue to finding DIO's lair.
Meanwhile, DIO drains a woman of her blood to begin recovering his strength while a mysterious young fortuneteller uses tarot cards to read the futures of the Joestar group.
|DIO||Jonathan Joestar||Jotaro Kujo||Joseph Joestar||Muhammad Avdol|
|Holy Kujo||Enya the Hag|
|Star Platinum||Magician's Red|| Hermit Purple
- A flashback to Jonathan's last and ultimately fatal encounter with Dio where the latter steals his body is included in the opening credits.
- In the flashback, the zombie Wang Chan's hands are seen holding the case housing Dio's head as the ship burns. However, in the manga and anime, the ship is set on fire because Jonathan destroyed Wang Chan's head and caused his body to obstruct the engine.
- In the OVA, Dio uses his blood vessels to pierce Jonathan's neck. In the manga and anime, Dio mortally wounds him with Space Ripper Stingy Eyes.
- A scene of Enya reading the fortunes of the Joestar group and naming their Stands is added.
- In addition, Enya is depicted in the disguise of a young woman rather than her normal form in the manga.
- The Joestars head to Jotaro's home after leaving prison and discuss the story of DIO there, whereas in the manga, this took place at a cafe.
- More explicit nudity is added during the scene where DIO drains a female slave of her blood.
- A scene from Chapter 121 where Star Platinum sees a fly in the photograph of DIO and draws it was moved to the middle of Chapter 117 for the OVA.