Gorgeous Irene (ゴージャス★アイリン Gōjasu ★ Airin) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Hirohiko Araki. It was first published by Shueisha in the Autumn Special of Weekly Shōnen Jump on October 1, 1985 and later released in Issue #1 of Super JumpW on December 29, 1986. The manga is split into 2 chapters, each with around 40 pages.
Irene is a professional assassin who is able to transform into any type of woman using her 'make-up' power, but instead of killing in cold blood, she uses her abilities for good.
- One of Irene's abilities is to fling her fake nails at her opponents; possibly an inspiration for Part 7' s Johnny Joestar's stand ability.
- Several of the characters in the manga have similar appearances and were probable influences of those from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:
- Araki admits to be embarrassed of Irene's character since it reflects his "ignorance of women" during his youth, portraying stereotypes and even brief nudity. He was only able to realize this prior to his marriage.
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven contains a reference to Gorgeous Irene, as the title of an opera advertised in the Naples Station stage.
- Jolyne's counterpart's name is inspired by this manga.
- In Chapter 1 of Phantom Blood, Dio Brando is seen reading a book bearing the title "Gorgeous Irene" as a self-reference.
Jump Remix (Mook)In 2007, as part of their Shueisha JUMP REMIX series (集英社ジャンプリミックス Shūeisha Janpu Rimixxu), Weekly Shonen Jump released a large square-bound phone-book sized version of Gorgeous Irene (Mook). The book has the exact same content from the original, but is larger in size and given a new cover drawn by Araki.
- ↑ https://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/ZNAWO41735
- ↑ https://comicvine.gamespot.com/super-jump-1/4000-556573/
- ↑ 2007 Eureka issue
|One-shot Stories and Miscellaneous Works|
|Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan|
|Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan OVAs|
|Under Execution Under Jailbreak|
|Earlier works by Araki|
|Other short stories|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.