|“||Who the hell am I?||”|
Josuke is a young man afflicted with retrograde amnesia, lacking any memories prior to being discovered by Yasuho Hirose near the Wall Eyes in Morioh Town. He dedicates himself to discovering his former identity and those originally associated with him.
Josuke's original identity was that of Josefumi Kujo (空条 仗世文 Kūjō Josefumi), and became his current self after fusing with the man Yoshikage Kira (吉良 吉影 Kira Yoshikage). Josuke is a Stand User and retains his original identity's Soft & Wet.
Josuke is a young, handsome and physically fit man of above-average height.
He wears a tasseled "Dixie cup" sailor cap (in multiple illustrations, it is adorned with the same palm insignia as Jotaro Kujo's hat). He wears a sailor suit, cut with a wide neck and above the navel, a neckerchief with a button resembling a slotted screw head, large emblems of an anchor on his right side and a compass rose on his left, fitted pants with a belt, and a pair of high-top athletic shoes.
Josuke has a diastema between his upper incisors and a star-shaped birthmark on his left shoulder. He has two sets of irises, four testicles and two tongues, all joined as one, differing in texture and color.
Yasuho mentions he resembles her dog, Josuke.
- Hair: Black
- Eyes: Half blue, half purple
- Clothes: White sailor suit with blue bands
- Hair: Black
- Eyes: Half light gray, half dark gray
- Clothes: Brown sailor suit with black bands
- Hair: Black
- Eyes: Half brown, half light gray
- Clothes: White sailor suit with blue bands
Chapters in order of appearance
|“||I'm "Josefumi Kujo".||”|
—Josuke Higashikata, embracing his past identity
The tentatively named Josuke Higashikata is a quirky amnesiac determined to learn his true identity and his past.
Josuke is afflicted by extensive retrograde amnesia, lacking memory of himself or events prior to meeting Yasuho Hirose, but retaining various degrees of knowledge. As such, Josuke is driven to discover who he was by investigating the circumstances of his presence in the beach prior to having been saved by Yasuho; that goal occupy nearly all of his activities and no action on his part isn't made without approaching him of learning the truth. That drive is sufficiently strong that he was willing to interrupt a rare moment with his love interest Yasuho to investigate Karera Sakunami.
Josuke seems to have retained certain traits from both of his original identities. At times he displays strong emotions like Josefumi, while also being able to analyze situations and strategize like Yoshikage.
Being amnesiac, Josuke places a great emphasis on one's family and legacy, wishing to learn his own past. The fact that no one came looking for him while hospitalized deeply unnerves him, to the point he can shed tears at the thought, and Josuke honors Norisuke Higashikata's adoption of him, considering himself a part of the Higashikatas. When Karera rejects her own parents, Josuke comments that they would never get along.
While Josuke can be violent at times, he also has a degree of restraint toward his enemies. This is first shown when he initially warns Born This Way's user that he will be forced to resort to deadly force if the attack continues. On multiple occasions he has asked members of the Higashikata family for permission before pursuing an enemy that relates to them, and even kept his promise to not harm Jobin while trying to get information about the Rokakaka out of him. However, Josuke is willing to defend himself and the people he knows from anyone who wishes to harm them. Unlike his counterpart Jotaro, Josuke isn't disturbed at the idea of hitting women. Josuke is not afraid to threaten to kill, and he indeed killed Tamaki Damo in cold-blood in retaliation for threatening his adoptive family, though his main goal of discovering his identity meaning that killing his aggressors is counterproductive. That killing intent is easily triggered when someone hurts Yasuho. Apart from that, Josuke approaches his task calmly and methodically.
Josuke is extremely polite and has been shown to strongly value familial relationships. He's not only willing to defend his adoptive family, but he strongly desires to cure Holy of her illness despite not having any memories of her. However, Josuke continues to suspect members of the Higashikata family of working against him. Josuke cares for Yasuho on a stronger level than even his family, and any threat to her wellbeing greatly angers him. In fact, during his battle with Yotsuyu Josuke is shown to possess a similar type of willpower to Johnny Joestar's "dark determination". Josuke is also blunt with everyone he meets regardless of the circumstances, being straight to the point and hardly tolerates any circling around the subject, reflecting his own focus on his goal. However, Josuke has proven to be proficient at manipulating people, notably Jobin with whom he would adopt a more nonchalant persona to seem harmless.
Despite all this Josuke also has a certain number of humorous quirks. He seems to be totally oblivious when it comes to mundane things while at the same time retaining in-depth knowledge of animal and plant species (likely a leftover trait of Josefumi). Josuke prefers sleeping underneath a whole mattress rather than its bedsheets for its "increased compression", he also regularly spills food he enjoys. During his earlier interactions with Yasuho, Josuke would pry on her breast size offhandedly, measuring it by sight (a trait that he probably gained from Yoshikage, as Holy was shown to possess a similar skill). Josuke has also demonstrated a more childish side, implanting his hair into Joshu and Hato Higashikata for fun. Whenever the mood is right Josuke seems to have fun declaring his victory, he consciously poses while smugly claiming his win against Jobin in the stag beetle fight.
Josuke's first contact is with Yasuho Hirose, his discoverer. He lives in the Higashikata family household after tentative adoption by Norisuke Higashikata IV.
- Yasuho Hirose: Josuke holds Yasuho in special regard, as the first person he has ever met or known. Yasuho's casually considerate nature with Josuke in the first instance is to have naturally built with his trust. Yasuho in return is able to appreciate his innocence and empathize with his sadness over having no family. They are the only certain allies in the story so far, and they hold romantic feelings for one another. The proof of their romantic progression can be seen during the Love Love Deluxe arc where, after meeting up, the two begin holding hands and look like they are on a date. Yasuho helps him gather information on his identity and Josuke in turn protects her, becoming enraged when someone tries to harm her in any way. She is the only person Josuke whole-heartedly trusts.
Josuke was adopted into the Higashikata household, thus bearing their family name. At first suspicious of them as a whole, their quirky demeanor and subsequent reveals about their motives made him open up toward them, and Josuke wishes to honor the family's kindness, making efforts not to antagonize them, at least openly.
- Norisuke Higashikata IV: Mutually suspicious; Josuke's natural curiosity as to his origins and Norisuke's intentions carries him beyond the boundaries set for him by the Higashikata patriarch as condition to his residence at the family home, which Norisuke appears to have offered under ulterior motives. He reveals that he knows Josuke has some link to Yoshikage Kira who had information on how to cure the family and for that reason adopted Josuke in hopes of acquiring that information. Norisuke later reveals himself as an ally, and the two hold a mutual trust for one another. Norisuke still places his family above all else, but seems to have grown to care for Josuke as family and even a possible surrogate son (one main example being when Damo tortures Norisuke to get information about Josefumi and Kira from him. While he knows Josuke is somehow involved, he does not rat on him until Damo threatens to kill his family. Even during this, Norisuke breaks down crying and sincerely apologizes to Josuke for not being able to protect him, showing the depth of his care).
- Daiya Higashikata: After engaging Josuke with her Stand, Daiya expresses arousal for him, which Josuke acknowledges to an extent while in a state of diminished responsibility. Upon her defeat, he extends his friendship in recognition of the personal virtues she expressed during their engagement, with Daiya pledging a degree of assistance in his inquiries. Daiya is constantly clinging to Josuke and he partially returns her affection, at the very least considering her a friend and watching out for her well-being.
- Joshu Higashikata: Emotionally immature and unstable, Joshu perceives the sight of the newly-conscious Josuke lying nude on the ground next to Yasuho as an insult, becoming enraged and attacking Josuke with lethal force before he is subdued. Joshu retains a powerful sense of insult at Josuke's interruption in his relationship with Yasuho and his family. Paired by Norisuke while travelling to school together, Josuke exerts an arms-length reception of Joshu, who persistently curses and discriminates against him.
- Jobin Higashikata: Although they seem to have a cordial relationship, Josuke and Jobin are technically enemies and recognize each others as threats. Josuke was first interested in Jobin because of his mysterious relationship with the Rokakaka. He prepared to fight him, but settled for tricking him into revealing himself in several gambles about beetle fights. During these gamble, Josuke faked a more friendly and smug demeanor, ultimately leading Jobin to suspect foul play.
- Tsurugi Higashikata: Tsurugi initially tried to kill Josuke because Yotsuga promised him a cure for his rock disease if he helped him. Despite this, Josuke doesn't seem to wish harm on Tsurugi partially understanding Tsurugi's fear of his disease. He has manipulated information on Tsurugi's father Jobin out of Tsurugi by urgency and mentioning his father hiding secrets that could cure him. Josuke is willing to use Tsurugi but seems to still care for his safety as he was worried when he was attacked by Aisho Dainenjiyama and went to him to make sure he was ok, showing the two are at least on amiable terms.
- Hato Higashikata: The two initially do not have much interaction, especially since Josuke is mainly focused on finding more about his past. Despite this, the two seem to get along fine as she was worried when Josuke was trying to use a razor and told Joshu to teach him how to use it properly. When Damo is attacking the family, Hato initially can't believe it and when he attacks both her and Josuke, Josuke uses his bubbles to protect her, implying he cares for her as a friend. The two even worked well together fighting and defeating Damo.
- Rai Mamezuku: An ally due to his connection with Norisuke along with being the plant appraiser that could tell where the branch of the Rokakaka fruit tree is, he becomes Josuke's ally when enemies begin to try to capture him due to his abilities and seeks Josuke's protection. While the two are not on friendly terms, they get along well enough.
- Karera Sakunami: Josuke initially didn't recognize Karera at first, however she insisted that she knew him before. Karera refers to him by the mysterious name "Setchan" and leaves before Josuke can obtain more information on his identity. Obtaining her name using Soft & Wet, Josuke lies to her about Yasuho in a failed attempt to retrieve more information. After showing Josuke an old picture on her cellphone of her, Kira and a mysterious other boy she reveals that Josuke's identity is that of Josefumi Kujo - the other boy in the photo. Rebuked by her manners and her willingness to let go of her past, he comments that they will never get along.
- Josefumi Kujo: Perhaps the most mysterious link to Josuke's past; from Karera's account, Josuke was originally Josefumi and apparently knew Kira at some point before losing his memories. The trio seemed to be friends before Josefumi and Kira were fused together to create the current Protagonist. Josuke seems to take after Josefumi in appearance, intelligence, and stand abilities, along with a similar feeling of loneliness as Josuke wonders why no one came to visit him in the hospital and feels alone since he has no memories and doesn't know anyone while Josefumi always felt he was ignored and abandoned all his life. Josefumi is revealed to serve as his body.
- Yoshikage Kira (JoJolion): The other half of Josuke's identity. He and Yasuho went to his apartment to find clues on Josuke's identity but initially found nothing as Sasame confirmed he was not Kira. The two also found his body buried. Despite seeming to have hit a road bump, Kyo later confirms Josuke is a combination of Kira and another person (later revealed to be Josefumi). Josuke seems to get his trademark outfit and part of his stand abilities from Kira, along with possibly some of his personality traits such as his shrewd manipulative intelligent mind, his drive to succeed in his goals, and loyalty to friends and family. It is later revealed he serves as the mental inhabitant of Josuke.
- Kyo Nijimura: Initially he did not interact with her. However, when she learned he was trying to investigate Holy and her connection to Yoshikage Kira, Kyo intervened using her stand Born this Way and nearly killing him in the process. When he defeated her with help from Paisley Park, she confessed she was Kira's sister and was only working for the Higashikatas (whom she hated) to investigate what happened to her brother and reveals herself as an ally. She has him promise not to see Holy Joestar-Kira which he agrees to, upon seeing her break down and cry and not wanting to hurt her or Holy. While she does not assist him again, the two seem to be on better terms.
- Holy Joestar-Kira: When he discovered she was Kira's mother, he tried to investigate her but was stopped by Kyo who had him promise not to bother her. Despite this, upon hearing about her condition from Yasuho he felt partially sorry for her and realizes she did not come to pick up her son because of her dementia. He also learns of her connection to the Higashikatas, making him more suspicious of them. When he later visited her, Josuke soon found out that her condition worsened, as she ate some of her fingers before the hospital had to restrain her. Recognizing her as his mother, even after the fusion, he promises the hospital that the their fees will be paid to continue her treatment, indicating his acceptance of two different identities.
- Ojiro Sasame: Ojiro was struck with misfortune from both of Josuke's former identities, particularly with Kira who had supposedly convinced him to eat his own fingers while drunk. Ojiro would later attack Josuke, thinking he was Kira and would later be taken out.
- Yotsuyu Yagiyama: As a member of the Rokakaka Fruit, Yotsuyu was an enemy of Josuke's and both of his former identities. After a confrontation, Yotsuyu ended up being unintentionally killed by Josuke, due to his Rock Human biology.
- Tamaki Damo: Damo, was originally unaware of Josuke's identity and presumed him to be a freeloader at the Higashikata household. Upon discovering Josuke's past, Damo saw him as an enemy but also a miraculous new potential for the Rokakaka. Josuke treated Damo as a dangerous enemy and made sure to kill him.
- Dolomite: Dolomite is an assassin hired Jobin to kill Josuke. Using his Stand powers, Dolomite infects several people, before possessing Josuke himself. Dolomite attempted to make Josuke drown himself before being stopped by Yasuho.
- Main article: Soft & Wet
Its primary ability ("Plunder") is to steal some aspect or property of a target; to be contained in one or more small soap bubbles (bearing the image of his birthmark), which may be returned or transferred to other objects. This ability has been used both offensively and strategically.
Soft & Wet also demonstrates above-average strength, and the capacity for rapid melee attack common to humanoid Stands.
During his fight with Yotsuyu Yagiyama, Josuke decides to "use [his] soap bubbles for offense rather than defense..." Soft & Wet is shown to be able to surround and contain objects by creating a soap bubble and punching it into said object. The bubble bursts but then reforms around the target; Josuke is then able to make the bubble and object inside float anywhere he wants to, just like his regular soap bubbles.
By combining strikes with his bubbles, he is able to 'inject' one of his soap bubbles into the flesh of his opponents, causing superficial damage when he pops them. The explosive property of the bubbles was first demonstrated against the A. Phex Brothers, and described by them as being very similar to Kira's ability.
Josuke possesses exceptional sight, being capable of accurately describing the dimensions of organic objects such as humans and trees from afar (a trait shared with Holy Joestar-Kira). Moreover he seems to have a wide field of view, spotting movement at his feet's level despite looking away.
Josuke demonstrates a natural affinity towards hand to hand combat having fluidly blocked and struck an opponent in one swift motion, augmenting the damage his blow causes with the powers of his Stand. He is also capable of displaying high reflexes and fast reaction speed common of experienced fighters.
Josuke is an extremely proficient tactician in a fight. He is able to use his Stand to various effects, and predict his opponents next moves easily. Josuke is a methodical individual, having quickly deduced Born this Way's powers via simple experimentation, as well as taking advantage of Les Feuilles's characteristics despite seeing them in action only recently.
Out of combat, Josuke is thorough in his investigation, being careful about covering his tracks. He has also displayed proficient skill in mathematics, having easily solved a trigonometry problem given to him by Joshu.
Josuke is the fusion between Yoshikage Kira and Josefumi Kujo. Kira was a marine surgeon whose mother Holy fell ill from the Rock Disease, a curse plaguing the existence of the Kira and the Higashikata bloodline. Kira learned of the existence of the Rokakaka Smuggling Organization by accident, and the existence of the Rokakaka, a miraculous fruit which could heal any ailment at the cost of another body part.
Determined to steal the fruit, Kira enlisted the help of Josefumi, a former patient of Holy's who was grateful to Holy for saving his life, and a Stand user. However, Josefumi advised to only steal a branch or two to graft them and get as many fruits as they wanted. Together the two stole branches from under Aisho Dainenjiyama's nose.
Several months later, after the earthquake, the fruits were almost ripe. Kira and Josefumi were confronted by Tamaki Damo and his organization, who managed to learn about the theft and tracked them down. Damo fatally wounded Kira by cutting out his liver, but the latter used Killer Queen to make an explosive distraction, fatally receiving shrapnel in the head. Josefumi and Kira drifted to the place where they kept the only two Rokakaka available, and Josefumi, after fighting off the A. Phex Brothers, used all the fruits to save Kira. An aftershock happened, causing Josefumi and Kira to fall into a fissure. The properties of the ground mixed the two together, and thus Josuke was born.
The protagonist was found buried underground and naked by Yasuho near the Wall Eyes in Morioh.
He shows symptoms of amnesia, as he is unable to identify himself or his residence.
Following the brand of his hat, he and Yasuho visit the shop that the hat was purchased from and from there, they were able to find the name Yoshikage Kira and his address.
When they enter the apartment they found a nice and tidy place.
However, they also found a nude woman in the bathroom whom Yasuho assumed was Kira's girlfriend. The girl did not answer at first, glaring at them before Yasuho found a photo album with pictures of tied up women. Assuming that this was the Josuke's doing, she becomes disgusted and leaves him.
Josuke and Yasuho return to the site of his discovery, finding Kira, who had died three days prior.
Next, Josuke is taken to live with the Higashikata Family, under the name Josuke Higashikata, apparently as a new member. He is given Joshu's room, to his dismay.
Josuke is told by Norisuke to take care of Daiya Higashikata, who suffers from near blindness. After helping her make tea, she tells him to "act natural" before having a piece of her leg destroyed, much to his confusion.He finds himself in the midst of Daiya's California King Bed Stand, before feigning being seduced by Daiya, and finally getting her to step on his shadow in order to retrieve the new memories won by her.
Yasuho receives a DNA result that reveals that the protagonist's and Kira's bodies are a 95.8% match, which seems to conclude that they are the same person.
From the Tree, looking her up, the protagonist learns that Kira's mother, Holy is still alive and currently working at a hospital.On the way, he is attacked by Kyo Nijimura and her Stand Born This Way; while he is assisted by the Stand Paisley Park.
Josuke at first asks Kyo if she attacked him under the orders of the Higashikata's, but Kyo reacts distastefully at the mention of the Higashikata's and insists on killing Josuke if he approaches Holy.
Josuke, at first, is prepared to fight back Kyo, but recognizes her intent and resolves to find another way to approach Holy if it will cause her pain.
As Josuke is about to leave, Kyo asks him to show his tongue and notes that Josuke has two tongues and four eyes.Kyo guides Josuke to the Wall Eyes to somewhat explain his ailment. What she does is hold two fruits together, a lemon and an orange, and buries them. Upon unearthing them, the two each have components of the other switched, with the orange having traces of lemon within and vice-versa.
This puzzles and infuriates Josuke, who cries out questioningly upon who he is and how he came to be, bringing Kyo to tears as well. She explains that Josuke was the result of her brother Yoshikage being fused with someone else, collaterally pointing out that both Josuke and his Stand are similar to Kira and his Stand.
She tells him to investigate the Higashikatas as they may have the answers that he desperately needs.
With Joshu, Josuke combats the community of Shakedown Road; including a mature man who manages a pet shop.
After his victory, he discovers the Joestar Jizo, which the pet shop owner agrees shares its hat with him; sharing that it was donated by the SBR hat shop salesman.
Josuke learns from the pet shop owner of Johnny Joestar, in whose memory the Jizo was erected.
Josuke borrows Joshu's cell phone, calling Yasuho; which she doesn't answer, noticing it as Joshu's call.
Yasuho travels into town in search of Josuke, but he is also affected by the Stand and fails to find her.
The next day, Josuke follows Tsurugi to his underground playroom.
Trailed by Norisuke, Josuke questions him; asking whether he killed Yoshikage Kira, which he says he did not, and in three parts: First, that he knows of the power of the Wall Eyes to combine two objects, and argues that if he wished Kira dead, he should wish the same of Josuke. Second, that he is sympathetic to Kira's family, including Holy, being that theirs shares its fate with his, with respect to the curse of their disease; and third, that he actually needed Kira, believing that he had a clue as to their cure.
Norisuke says that he adopted Josuke in the hope that he has retained these memories; reaffirms his wish for his family's happiness, and that he does not know the identity of the other person composing Josuke, suggesting that he consider himself the individual currently searching for his identity.
Josuke and Norisuke are then targeted by Yotsuyu Yagiyama.
A fight ensues between Josuke, Norisuke and Yotsuyu. Unable to counter Yotsuyu's power, Josuke is initially overwhelmed by the many flower pots attracted to him. However, with Norisuke's help, Josuke manages to get out of I Am a Rock's range a first time. When Yotsuyu touches him again, hundreds of chestnuts are attracted to him, but he and Norisuke manage to hide inside the family bunker.
Realizing that Yasuho has been kidnapped by Yotsuyu, Josuke resolves to get out of the bunker and fight Yotsuyu. In the process, he discovers that Yotsuyu isn't a normal human. The fight culminates in Josuke making Yotsuyu sink into the sea, and having Yotsuyu reveal that his original self is connected to Kira before dying. At the same time, Josuke spots the mysterious fruit Tsurugi has been talking about.
Josuke and Norisuke then examine the remains of Yotsuyu and manage to find a fruit. Josuke then follows Norisuke to the latter's fruit parlor in order to identify the fruit, but their search is interrupted when Jobin Higashikata returns.
Because King Nothing smelled the fruit's scent on Jobin, Josuke wants to extract information from him.
To do so, he enlists the help of Tsurugi and challenges Jobin to a beetle fight with the Dorcus Titanus Palawanicus Jobin gave him earlier. He cheats, wins Jobin's Lamborghini, and manages to take the key to Tsurugi and Yasuho so that they investigate Jobin's whereabouts. However, Jobin begins to suspect Josuke and he has to flee.
Josuke meets Yasuho and Tsurugi again the next day. He spends some time with Yasuho, but an unknown woman catches his attention, as she seems to know him.
The woman named Karera Sakunami, is one of Josuke's original self's acquaintance, and Josuke decides to stick with her until she reveals him his name. Karera eventually tells him: his original self was Josefumi Kujo.
Josuke and Karera are then attacked by the A. Phex Brothers, but defeat them both. Karera realizes that Josuke underwent the equivalent exchange, and departs leaving Josuke with still many questions.
Josuke, having heard of the Rokakaka thanks to Karera, starts to research the fruit with Yasuho and Tsurugi, thinking that it may be tied to his identity. His research is interrupted when he witnesses along with the Higashikata Family, Hato bringing her new boyfriend: Tamaki Damo. Thinking that the seemingly awkward boyfriend is nothing suspicious, he quietly asks Norisuke permission to leave, but when he enters the isolated foyer, he notices that Kyo has disappeared and that the house is covered in handprints making anyone who touches them soft. Trying to escape, Josuke accidentally touches the handprints and is softened himself.
Josuke continues to try to find a way to stop the murderous assault caused by Damo in the present while Josefumi and Kira's pasts are revealed in flashbacks.
Josefumi and Kira, having stolen a Rokakaka Branch to use for grafting, are confronted by Damo and the other Rock Humans on Kira's yacht. Damo tortures Kira until the latter manages to escape along with Josefumi using Killer Queen's Sheer Heart Attack. Despite escaping, however, both men succumb to their injuries and die before the Wall Eyes fuse them together during the 2011 earthquake.
In the present, Josuke is surprised to see Hato using her Stand to mercilessly beat Damo to the point of death. After pursuing the fleeing Damo, Josuke confronts the man and avenges the people he's killed by shattering Damo's skull using Soft & Wet. Having come to terms with his different pasts, Josuke confirms his "true identity" as that of Josefumi Kujo.
Josuke can investigate his former identity in peace and confirms that he is an amalgamation of Josefumi Kujo and Yoshikage Kira. Having searched Damo's cleaning shop, his search about the properties of the Rokakaka is also complete.
Josuke then visits the hospital where his mother Holy is treated. Appalled at her condition, Josuke learns that her illness is incurable and the most the doctors could do is put her into an artificial coma to slow the Rock Disease. Feeling a deep attachment to her, and committed to finish what his former selves started, Josuke vows to find the Rokakaka and pay for Holy's treatment.
Having decided to go look for the Rokakaka, Josuke secretly asks Norisuke for help and points out that Jobin is likely to be the Rokakaka Smuggling Organization's ally. Although Norisuke refuses to hear about Jobin, he points Josuke to a plant appraiser who can help him find the branches Josefumi grafted. Josuke then departs to find this man.
Unbeknownst to him, Kaato has been observing them and informs Jobin of Josuke's intention. Jobin thus contacts the Rock Human named Dolomite to help him stop Josuke before he can find his contact. In the streets, Josuke is accosted by a young boy who gives him a letter which, without Josuke's knowledge, contains Dolomite's tooth. Immediately after, Josuke comes under attack from the Stand power named Blue Hawaii. The ability takes control of people or animals making them become feral and relentlessly chase a target, in this case Josuke; moreover, the control transfers from one organism to another through mere physical contact either directly or through infected blood, thus Josuke has difficulty defending himself and opts to flee.
Josuke repels one infectee after the other, but after realizing that he cannot remain on the defensive for long, he calls Yasuho so that she can investigate the tooth he left earlier. While Yasuho conducts her research, Josuke continues to flee from the unending attack of Blue Hawaii. After a while, Josuke is cornered by a baby, and unwilling to harm him, lets himself be controlled by Stand. Josuke then walks up to Dolomite's pond to be interrogated and killed.
Fortunately, Yasuho intervenes and saves Josuke, but not before he reveals confidential information to Dolomite. The cornered Dolomite then reveals that Jobin was the one who asked him to attack Josuke. Moreover, the Rock Human continues to monologue about the worth of the new variety of Rokakaka Josuke is born from.
Josuke and Yasuho take the bus to Mount Hananero, where they seek to meet the mysterious plant appraiser. However, Josuke understands that Dolomite's ramblings weren't random, but a way to warn someone else they weren't aware of but had been listening to them. At the same moment, Josuke sees someone hijacking his bus: it is the plant appraiser he wanted to see.
The plant appraiser announces that they are under attack, prompting Josuke to let him drive the bus, as well as introduce Yasuho. Arriving at a parking lot, Josuke is shown several trees moving slowly through the concrete, proving that a new enemy is stalking them. The plant appraiser then formally presents himself as Rai Mamezuku. Josuke subsequently shows him several photos of the Higashikata orchard he has taken; although Rai discerns the Rokakaka branch, he doesn't reveal anything and prefers to remind Josuke of the stakes of their mission, especially the importance of his safety.
Rai then invites Josuke and Yasuho to take a chairlift, soon revealed to be Rai's summer home. Away from the ground and thus temporarily safe, Rai cooks a creme romanoff for Josuke and Yasuho, who savor the snack. Josuke then listens to Rai's theories about the new enemy, and realizes that the enemy may be a new group. The discussion is interrupted when a tree sneaks near the chairlift. When it whips its branches at Yasuho, she ducks and nearly falls, but Josuke grabs her arm. They see a strange swarm of Stands covering the branches, which attacks Rai's hand, but Josuke neglects him to sweep them from Yasuho's legs. He sends bubbles towards the tree and makes them explode, shattering it. Rai then moves the chair forward to get away from the tree, but being upset, he cuts off his hand and then tosses Yasuho down to the ground, to Josuke's astonishment. Initially angry and threatening to also throw Rai down, Josuke regains his composure and tells Yasuho to go to safe ground.
The enemy appears, and Josuke sends his bubbles to make a makeshift ladder for Yasuho, but several thrown rocks pop them up. Rai manages to stab the enemy while Yasuho uses her Paisley Park to wash away the enemy Stand on her face. Josuke then discovers when the enemy resurfaces that they are two people chasing after them: Urban Guerrilla and his pet Doremifasolati Do.
Urban threatens Rai who has stabbed him but is only knifed a second time. The enemy then plunges undeground, announcing that they have a "killing order". Worried about Yasuho, Josuke jumps down to the ground despite Rai's insistence that he be protected first. Chased by Doremifasolati Do, Josuke sees that his bubbles are ineffective as they get transported behind his opponent. Thus, he is forced to seek shelter at the top of a boulder.
In the meantime, Rai has fallen from his chairlift because of Urban. However, Josuke discerns the determined look on the plant appraiser's face and guesses that he has a plan. He jumps down and runs toward the chairlift's eighth pole, which Rai wanted to reach in order to use the fuel stored in there. Although Josuke is overpowered by the teamwork of Urban and his pet, and ends up crushed beneath Doremifasolati Do, he and Rai manage to gravitate fuel into the Rock Animal and light it up. Doremifasolati Do explodes and Urban is burned alive.
Now safe, Josuke and Rai prepare themselves to go harvest the Rokakaka. Josuke doesn't notice Yasuho leave, but Rai informs him that she had matters to tend to at home.
Josuke and Rai infiltrate the Higashikata orchard through several tunnels. Using a secret passage, they manage to approach the Rokakaka branch, and Josuke observes Rai planting some larvae moths inside the branch and is told to wait two days before a new fruit will grow.
However, when they return through the tunnels, Josuke and Rai begin to feel the effects of an unknown enemy Stand. They decide to go to the surface. Seeing the orchard on fire, Josuke and Rai must now save the branch. Josuke uses Soft & Wet's power to create two great bubbles acting as protective fields against the decreasing pressure. Rai steps outside to take the branch, but the appraiser suddenly meets Poor Tom, the Rock Human responsible for the attack.
Rai tries to attack Poor Tom, strangling him with wires. However, touching Poor Tom results in a dramatic increase in the pressure inside the bubble. Rai is crushed inside the bubble. Josuke then intervenes, putting several poisonous yew seeds inside bubbles and launching them at Tom's mouth, who swallows one of them. Tom then finishes Rai off, takes the branch and tries to flee, hearing the sirens of a fire truck and ambulance and guessing that his allies are coming. Josuke still pursues Tom despite the pressure increasing inside his bubble, and launches another bubble. This multi-layered bubble pursues Tom and manages to corner him just as the ambulances arrive.
Josuke continues to pursue Poor Tom with the bubble until it pops and reveals that there was nothing inside all along. Poor Tom starts running to the ambulance after grabbing what he thinks to be the Rokakaka branch when he is suddenly shot by an unknown assailant, killing him. Josuke sees the person in the ambulance Poor Tom was running towards take the branch and drive away. Josuke despairs over the loss of the branch, but realizes that not all hope is lost as Rai is revealed to have survived Poor Tom's attack.
After the battle, Josuke explains what happened to the Higashikata Family. Discussing what is their next option with Rai, Josuke hears the appraiser suspect Jobin but none of them has any proof of what happened. They decide to follow the trail of the ambulance's license plate. Finding that that no such ambulance is recorded, Josuke finds another trail when Yasuho calls her to go to the TG University Hospital.
Arriving there with Rai, Josuke spends some time searching for Yasuho while at the same time, she is busy fighting Dr. Wu Tomoki alongside Mitsuba Higashikata. Tipped by Yasuho's ex-boyfriend Toru, Josuke reaches the secret laboratory containing several Rokakaka branches and saves Yasuho from Tomoki, sealing his fragments inside his bubbles mixed with medical cement.Josuke, Rai, Yasuho and Mitsuba end their investigation of the hospital and having found that the stolen Rokakaka branch isn't in their hands. However, Yasuho theorizes that since Tomoki tried to gain control of Mitsuba, he may have suspected Jobin as the possessor of the branch.
- Josuke Vs. Joshu Higashikata
- Josuke Vs. Ojirou Sasame
- Josuke Vs. Daiya Higashikata
- Josuke & Paisley Park Vs. Kyo Nijimura
- Josuke Vs. The population of Shakedown Road
- Josuke & Norisuke Higashikata IV Vs. Yotsuyu Yagiyama
- Josuke Vs. Jobin Higashikata
- Josuke & Karera Sakunami Vs. A. Phex Brothers
Josuke makes his debut in the PS3 game, as the only Part 8 playable character. He was confirmed for the game alongside the first DLC character, Yoshikage Kira.
Josuke's appearance in the game was a surprise for fans, as Part 8 was still fairly recent and only 3 volumes into its story. As a result most of his moves, animations, taunts and such are based on those three volumes, along with a few liberties, making a couple of his animations somewhat limited or even awkward.
With the absence of a major antagonist and main plot at the time, Part 8's Story Mode consists of Josuke facing all the previous JoJo protagonists (starting with Jonathan all the way to himself) with no logical reason. They all appear from the Wall Eyes like Josuke and see him as an enemy, sinking back into the ground when defeated. Baoh also appears as the last Extra Story fight with Josuke, with their battle named "Baoh the Visitor". After defeating them all, Josuke proceeds to search for Yasuho Hirose before the "To Be Continued" arrow appears, putting in motion the story of JoJolion.
As one of the mass majority of playable characters in the game with the "Stand" Style, Josuke can turn Soft & Wet on/off, changing movesets, as well as having access to the Stand Rush ability returning from the Capcom game, being able to attack in conjunction with his Stand.
- Throw - I've taken your friction: Soft & Wet takes the friction from the opponent's feet, making them slip and fall as Josuke knees them in the face when they come down.
While Soft & Wet is off:
- Quit screwing around!: Josuke stomps. This skill can hit a downed opponent, and all of Josuke's moves can be performed instantly following it. (Comboable)
- So slippery!: Josuke removes his own friction as he spins around on the floor, hitting the opponent multiple times before getting back up. This move is a low attack and cannot be blocked if the opponent is not crouching. Before Josuke gets back up, a follow-up move can be used. (Comboable through Puttsun Cancel)
- Zero Friction: Josuke stops spinning to slide forward and unleash a double kick that knocks the opponent off their feet. This move is a low attack and cannot be blocked if the opponent is not crouching. (Comboable through Puttsun Cancel)
- Let me take that from you.: Josuke throws out bubbles which slowly float forward as projectiles before popping. (Comboable)
- Don't mess with me!: Josuke slides forward in a crouch to deliver a potent punch to the opponent's lower body, leaving them crumpling. (Comboable)
- How to use the bubbles: Josuke surrounds himself with bubbles as he shaves. The bubbles act as a trap and obstacle, damaging the opponent if they come in contact, though easily popped by most other projectiles. (Comboable)
While Soft & Wet is on:
- Don't get any ideas!: Josuke and Soft & Wet leap forward and fly through the air as S&W rapidly punches (Comboable through Puttsun Cancel). S&W finishes by grabbing the opponent and throwing them behind.
- The hell is your problem?!: Josuke jumps backward into a crouch as Soft & Wet advances forward while punching. This ability can initiate Rush Mode. A Stand Rush skill that Josuke can disconnect from to attack the opponent while it is executing. (Comboable through Puttsun Cancel)
- I gotta win this!: Soft & Wet delivers a powerful roundhouse kick that sends the opponent into the stage wall. A Stand Rush skill that Josuke can disconnect from to attack the opponent while it is executing. (Comboable through Puttsun Cancel)
Josuke's HHA, "I can steal your eyesight.", has him send out a fast-moving bubble created by Soft & Wet. If it hits the opponent, the camera shifts to the opponent's point of view as the bubble floats up to their eyes and pops, stealing their vision and leaving them crumpling (recreating Josuke's self-defense against Joshu in the first chapter of Part 8). Since the HHA results in a soft knockdown (assuming the opponent is on the ground when hit), Josuke can follow up on it if quick enough, either with a second HHA (resulting in a hard knockdown), or even his GHA, marking it the only HHA in the game that doesn't end a combo on success.
Josuke's GHA, simply named "Soft & Wet", has him pull out a homing bubble from his Joestar Birthmark and fling it. If it hits the opponent, their body's friction is taken, making them slip to the ground and be left vulnerable. As Josuke calmly and confidently explains what happened to them, Soft & Wet delivers an uppercut that knocks them into the air, before unleashing upward barrage of punches, finishing with a powerful delayed hook that sends the opponent spinning out.
Josuke has an alternate costume based on the attire from the first image of him ever released (the one used to confirm and promote Part 8 in Ultra Jump). His main color scheme is based on the same image, while his alternate color, which is white, appears to reference Part 8's Yoshikage Kira, as when Soft & Wet is activated, it is pink in coloration similar to that traditionally given to Killer Queen.
For the western version of the game, Josuke was named "Josuke Higashikata 8" to avoid confusion with Part 4's Josuke Higashikata, who was named "Josuke Higashikata 4".
Josuke, once again named "Josuke Higashikata 8" to avoid confusion with Part 4's Josuke, was confirmed for the game alongside Joshu, Narciso Anasui and Enrico Pucci with C-Moon/Made In Heaven. Due to Part 8's continuation, Josuke's abilities have been updated and expanded upon since All Star Battle: He now employs new attacks that were originally used against Yotsuyu Yagiyama in battle.
As a Stand User, Josuke is one of many characters with wildly varied abilities that grant him uniqueness in battle.
- Style Action - I can steal your vision.: Josuke sends out a single bubble forward, capable of stealing his opponents' vision. If it connects, opponents will be Blinded. While Blinded, they cannot lock-on or use certain skills, and their guards become easier to break; Blinded opponents will also have the color of their screen convert to a deep, blurry blue. This style of view is similar to N'Doul's visualized sonar ability seen in the TV anime. Characters that are already blind are immune to the effects of the bubble and will simply take damage: Wamuu while his "Now I will shut out the light, and with this horn see only the wind!" skill is active and N'Doul.
- Checkmate!: Soft & Wet delivers a barrage of 10 punches aimed towards the ground. If an opponent is hit, S&W then delivers another punch that creates a large bubble to immobilize and slowly carry them into the air. In this state, they are completely vulnerable to follow-up attacks, but will be set free upon taking any damage. Quickly moving the movement stick around can shorten the time bound. The skill can also hit downed opponents, but S&W will not create the bubble.
- The hell is your problem?!: Josuke Backsteps into a crouch as Soft & Wet advances forward before delivering 6 punches, the final strike sending opponents flying. Josuke gains super armor from activation until he lands from the Backstep.
- Let me take that from you.: Josuke sends out a small group of homing bubbles that slowly float towards opponents and rapidly deal 5 hits upon connecting. The bubbles will persist for a very long period of time, covering a considerable distance before popping. Josuke may have up to 2 active at a given time.
- I'll suck all the moisture out of you...!: Soft & Wet creates a dense cluster of bubbles that remain in place as a trap. The bubbles will deal 6 hits to opponents and deplete their stamina gauge.
- EX - The hell is your problem?!: Josuke gains invincibility instead of super armor, can Sidestep to cancel the skill at any time, and can also act out of the move faster. Soft & Wet will move a slight distance further, deliver 5 more punches, and its final strike sends opponents spinning a long distance away.
- EX - I'll suck all the moisture out of you...!: The skill activates quicker, Josuke is invincible until the bubbles are formed, and the bubbles deal 4 more hits.
- "Soft and wet.": Josuke must land his Style Action. (200 Points)
- Geez... Can't you do anything?: Josuke must connect "I'll suck all the moisture out of you...!" 3 times. (200 Points)
- I brought you here just so I could push you off the edge.: Josuke must connect "Checkmate!" 3 times. (300 Points)
- Now, tell me! Who am I?!: Josuke must connect a Dual Heat Attack. (500 Points)
- The winner is...me! By a mile!: Josuke must win the battle within 50 counts of the battle timer. (800 Points)
Dual Heat Attacks
- Solo - "Soft & wet.": Identical to its performance in All Star Battle, though executes faster for the sake of brevity.
- With Joshu - We're friends, right?: Josuke and Joshu discuss their "friendship" status as Soft & Wet delivers a punch that downs the opponent. Joshu and Nut King Call hastily move in to finish them off, but fails to notice a bubble by Soft & Wet that steals the ground's friction, making him slip and spin out of control. Accelerating to high-speeds, Joshu is only stopped when he inevitably crashes into the downed opponent as Josuke humorously looks on.
He is paired with Narciso Anasui in the Eyes of Heaven Tournament, having been placed in the F Block series of battles to be incorporated into the main Tournament. They were eliminated in the first round by Part 4 Jotaro Kujo and Diego Brando from Another Universe.
- When he is given the name "Josuke Higashikata", his name is written in a different kanji (定助 instead of 仗助) than that of the Part 4 protagonist's (of note is that this name is pronounced the same as Norisuke IV's birth name).
- The brand of his hat is "SBR" (a reference to the Steel Ball Run race).
- Josuke was originally going to have the Stand ability to attach screws to something, but Araki changed his mind and gave that to Joshu.
- Foreign fans often refer to him as Jo2uke or Gappy (in reference to the distinct gap in his teeth) to avoid confusion with the other Josuke.
|Heroes and Main Allies|