|“||It is only the results that remain in this world! All the actions you take in a world where time is erased are meaningless!||”|
It has a sub-Stand, Epitaph (エピタフ Epitafu), which is primarily utilised by Doppio, Diavolo's split personality.
King Crimson is a humanoid Stand of a height and build similar to Diavolo's, but tends to look much bigger and taller. Its body is covered by a raised diagonal grid; save for its face, neck, shoulder guards, elbows, hands, abdomen, crotch, knees and feet/footwear.
Its eyes comprise sharp orifices of a steep inward slant; from which emerge small, round fish-like eyes that have the same fragmented pupils that Diavolo himself has. Its crown is flat and from its forehead emerges a raised level that bears a smaller, oval face of the same expression. In earlier depictions, there were two raised levels. It constantly bares its teeth through a small mouth.
The second face on King Crimson's forehead is named Epitaph, and is sometimes duplicated in the same position on Doppio's forehead. Epitaph presents itself as a bump on the forehead featuring eyes and a mouth constantly grinding its teeth, often mimicking King Crimson's current mood.
Befitting its name, King Crimson is depicted in all media featuring it as being primarily red, with the shade of red varying from work to work. It is depicted in all media as having lime green eyes. Its primary face and the grid on its body is either white or yellow, and its metallic body parts are usually portrayed as white or silvery. King Crimson's knuckles, ankle decorations, lower back, and the soles of its feet vary in color throughout its many appearances, being depicted as white, silver, gold, or emerald (with the aforementioned areas occasionally varying in color in a single depiction).
Although Diavolo frequently talks through King Crimson, it shows no particular personality besides always possessing an angry or irritated expression.
|“||Once anyone witnesses King Crimson... As of that moment... they no longer exist in this world.||”|
King Crimson is one of the more impressive Stands featured in the series. Both physically strong and possessing the ability to erase time and predict the future, King Crimson is described as invincible against all other Stands whose powers do not affect time.
King Crimson is a powerful Stand able to punch through people's bodies or cleave them in a chop with significant ease. Unlike other melee-based Stand Users, Diavolo generally uses it to perform swift single attacks that are almost always fatal rather than painful barrages. Examples include completely obliterating a fortune teller's upper body in a single punch and throwing a pairs of scissors with such strength that they completely severed Risotto Nero's right foot, among multiple other occasions where it effortlessly severed and rived body parts (especially limbs).
King Crimson's signature ability is to erase a given frame of time lasting up to 10 seconds, starting from the instant the ability is activated. "During" this period of time, other people will be unable to experience anything that happened and will retain no memories of it either. After the allotted time frame, they will suddenly find themselves in the situation they were supposed to be afterwards. There is, however, one instance where a person was able to see their double before finding themselves in their future position.
On the other hand, Diavolo remains fully conscious during the erased time and only he can re-adjust his actions. In the manga, Diavolo sees the erased time as a void filled with juxtapositions of what would have happened during this period in a fashion akin to Nude Descending a StaircaseW, allowing him to think out the next best action (for instance, when Bruno Bucciarati tried to punch Diavolo during the erased time, Diavolo saw Bucciarati's superimposed positions during his punch). The anime adaptation has Diavolo visualize a ghostly red image of his foe's next move instead.
Diavolo is unable to attack while King Crimson's time erasure is active. As a result, he often relies on the ability to avoid attacks and move himself into advantageous positions, such as enemy blind spots. Using his Stand's exceptional destructive power, Diavolo then directly attacks the enemy the moment King Crimson's ability is cancelled. However, Diavolo is also able to splatter his own blood onto an enemy's projection in anticipation of blinding them.
Epitaph is a sub-Stand that assists and completes King Crimson's time erasure.
- Precognition: From up to ten seconds, Epitaph gives Diavolo and Doppio the ability to see into and "forecast" the future, usually represented as images on the inside of their bangs.
The image produced includes the general area with Doppio/Diavolo as the main focus, allowing either of them to see what happens around them as well as directly at them. However, the visions are incomplete and only show the final result without the steps taken to it and thus can be subject to interpretation. In one instance, Doppio could see himself on the ground with a foot flying, but initially thought that the foot was his.
While the predictions seen by Epitaph are unavoidable, they still effectively only warn Diavolo and Doppio against incoming danger, allowing them to steer events to alleviate the damage such as when Doppio realized a pair of scissors would form inside his throat, he easily tore them out in order to save himself. King Crimson itself can prevent the predictions from being completed if it erases the right timeframe. Likewise a Stand affecting Fate like Gold Experience Requiem which returns King Crimson's power to the "zero" state, can simply make the vision false as it steers Fate to its advantage.
Diavolo and Doppio often use the forecasting ability of Epitaph to predict any incoming threat, making sneak attacks ineffective against them.
Chapters / Episodes
Chapters in order of appearance
Episodes in order of appearance
- Much like DIO's "Time is frozen"/"And time resumes", Diavolo has his own phrases to go along with King Crimson's abilities: "Time has been erased" for when he activates the ability and "Time returns its progression" for when he deactivates it.
- All the JoJo video games that include Diavolo as a playable or in-game character have different interpretations of the power:
- In Vento Aureo (PS2), the time erase was shown to slow down the opponent's actions while Diavolo still moves at normal speed for the duration of the obliterated time, a mechanism similar to Made in Heaven's time acceleration abilities.
- In All Star Battle, it acts similar to The World - through a number of abilities, Diavolo creates an erased time space (a special ability simply referred to as "Erasing Time") in which he is free to move about and the opponent is unable to take action. After a certain amount of time has passed, or as soon as Diavolo initiates an attack or ability, the spell is broken. King Crimson also acts as his dash and Epitaph can be activated to allow Diavolo automatic Stylish Dodging without depleting his Guard Gauge.
- In Eyes of Heaven, Diavolo becomes invincible as well as invisible to his opponents within the erased time, causing him to gradually lose stamina. Other characters can still move and act normally but are otherwise ignorant to Diavolo's location. Furthermore, the Epitaph ability Diavolo had in All Star Battle allowing him to dodge instantly after getting attacked returns in the form of a skill (assigned to the Square button).
- The anime adaptation portrays King Crimson's time-skip ability with a glitched effect, as if the animation itself has corrupted and skipped forward.
- The convoluted and inconsistent nature of King Crimson's abilities has become infamous among fans, with the phrase "it just works" often being used to facetiously handwave the long-standing lack of a clear and concise explanation.