|“||It is only the results that remain in this world! All the actions you take in a world where time is erased are meaningless!||”|
It has a sub-Stand ability, Epitaph (エピタフ (墓碑銘) Epitafu), which was primarily introduced by Vinegar Doppio, Diavolo's split personality.
King Crimson is a humanoid Stand of a height and build similar to Diavolo's, but tends to look much bigger and taller. Its body is covered by a raised diagonal grid; save for its face, neck, shoulder guards, elbows, hands, abdomen, crotch, knees, and feet/footwear.
Its eyes comprise sharp orifices of a steep inward slant; from which emerge small, round eyes without sclera, with pronounced eye sockets that have the same fragmented pupils that Diavolo himself has. Its crown is flat and from its forehead emerges a raised level that bears a smaller, oval face of the same expression. In earlier depictions, there were two raised levels. It constantly bares its teeth through a small mouth.
The aforementioned second face on King Crimson's forehead is named Epitaph, and is sometimes duplicated in the same position on Doppio's forehead when he is given some of King Crimson's power by Diavolo, the only difference between is that the two raised levels don't appear. Epitaph presents itself as a bump on the forehead featuring eyes and a mouth constantly grinding its teeth, often mimicking King Crimson's current mood and mouth movements.
Befitting its name, King Crimson is depicted in all media featuring it as being primarily red, with the shade of red varying from work to work. It is depicted in all media as having lime green eyes. Its primary face and the grid on its body is either white or yellow, and its metallic body parts are usually portrayed as white or silvery. King Crimson's knuckles, ankle decorations, lower back, and the soles of its feet vary in color throughout its many appearances, being depicted as white, silver, gold, or emerald (with the aforementioned areas occasionally varying in color in a single depiction).
King Crimson embodies Diavolo's personality in its entirety, as he frequently speaks through his stand. Aside from that, its face frequently possesses an angry or irritated expression, though on rare occasions, it also shows a maniacal grin when certain events fall in Diavolo's favor, such as when he gets his hands on the Arrow. It also appears to hiss like a snake whenever summoned.
|“||Once anyone witnesses King Crimson... As of that moment... they no longer exist in this world.||”|
King Crimson is one of the more impressive Stands featured in the series. Both physically strong and possessing the ability to erase time and predict the future, King Crimson is described as invincible against all other Stands whose powers do not affect time.
King Crimson is a powerful Stand able to punch through people's bodies or cleave them in a chop with significant ease. Unlike other melee-based Stand Users, Diavolo generally uses it to perform swift single attacks that are almost always fatal rather than painful barrages. Examples include completely obliterating a fortune teller's upper body in a single punch and throwing a pair of scissors with such strength that they completely severed Risotto Nero's right foot, among multiple other occasions where it effortlessly severed and rived body parts (especially limbs). It also managed to destroy a large wall with a single punch. Its feats of strength and speed are comparable to Star Platinum and The World.
"During" this period of erased time, only Diavolo remains fully conscious and is the only one who can re-adjust his actions. Other people will be unable to experience anything that happens and will continue to act as they would have. After the effect of the ability ends, all people other than Diavolo will retain no memories of anything that happened during the erased period.
After the allotted time frame, people will suddenly find themselves in the aftermath of the situation they were supposed to be in as the action could already be completed. For example, when Pannacotta Fugo asked Giorno Giovanna for the water bottle that they brought, the bottle was suddenly in Fugo's hand without Giorno ever actually handing it to him. There is, however, one instance where a person was able to see their double before finding themselves in their future position.
Simply put, the Time Erasure ability removes the cause but the effect remains.
In the manga, Diavolo sees the erased time as a void filled with juxtapositions of what would have happened during this period in a fashion akin to Nude Descending a StaircaseW, allowing him to think out the next best action (for instance, when Bruno Bucciarati tried to punch Diavolo during the erased time, Diavolo saw Bucciarati's superimposed positions during his punch). The anime adaptation has Diavolo visualize a ghostly red image of his foe's next move instead.
In addition, Diavolo and King Crimson become "intangible" during time erasure, allowing attacks to pass through them, as the moment that the attack would have hit was erased. However, this also means Diavolo himself is unable to attack while King Crimson's time erasure is active. As a result, he often relies on the ability to avoid attacks and move into advantageous positions, such as an enemy's blind spot, then by using King Crimson's great destructive power, Diavolo directly attacks the enemy the moment the ability ends. He may also use said intangibility for a brief period of time in order to cause an attack to pass through him and hit a different target. However, Diavolo is also able to splatter his own blood onto an enemy's projection in anticipation of blinding them.
Epitaph is a sub-Stand that assists and completes King Crimson's time erasure. Epitaph gives Diavolo/Doppio the ability to see into and "forecast" up to ten seconds into the future. The future vision is usually represented as an image on the inside of their bangs.
The image produced includes the general area surrounding Doppio/Diavolo with him/them as the main focus, allowing either of them to see what is going to happen to them, as well as around them. Diavolo and Doppio often use the forecasting ability of Epitaph to predict any incoming threat, making sneak attacks ineffective against them.
However, the visions are incomplete and only show the final result without the events leading up to it, and can thus be subject to interpretation. In one instance, Doppio could see himself on the ground with a severed human foot flying by; he initially thought that the foot was his own, but he was mistaken.
While the predictions seen by Epitaph are unavoidable, they still effectively warn Diavolo and Doppio against incoming danger, allowing them to steer events to alleviate the damage, such as when Doppio realized a pair of scissors would form inside his throat, he easily tore them out in order to save himself. King Crimson itself can prevent the predictions from being completed if it erases the right timeframe when the prediction would have come true. Likewise, a Stand that affects Fate, like Gold Experience Requiem which can return King Crimson's power to the "zero" state, can simply make the vision false as it steers Fate to its advantage.
Chapters / Episodes
Chapters in order of appearance
Episodes in order of appearance
- Much like DIO's "Time is frozen"/"And time resumes", Diavolo has his own phrases to go along with King Crimson's abilities: "Time has been erased" (Jikan wa futtobashita / 時間は吹っ飛ばした。) for when he activates the ability and "Time returns its progression" (Toki wo saishido shiro / 時を再始動しろ。) for when he deactivates it.
- All the JoJo video games that include Diavolo as a playable or in-game character have different interpretations of the power:
- In Vento Aureo (PS2), the time erase was shown to slow down the opponent's actions while Diavolo still moves at normal speed for the duration of the obliterated time, a mechanism similar to Made in Heaven's time acceleration abilities.
- In All Star Battle, it acts similar to The World - through a number of abilities, Diavolo creates an erased time space (a special ability simply referred to as "Erasing Time") in which he is free to move about and the opponent is unable to take action. After a certain amount of time has passed, or as soon as Diavolo initiates an attack or ability, the spell is broken. King Crimson also acts as his dash and Epitaph can be activated to allow Diavolo automatic Stylish Dodging without depleting his Guard Gauge.
- In Eyes of Heaven, Diavolo becomes invincible as well as invisible to his opponents within the erased time, causing him to gradually lose stamina. Other characters can still move and act normally but are otherwise ignorant to Diavolo's location. Furthermore, the Epitaph ability Diavolo had in All Star Battle allowing him to dodge instantly after getting attacked returns in the form of a skill (assigned to the Square button).
- The anime adaptation portrays King Crimson's time-skip ability with a glitched effect, as if the animation itself has corrupted and skipped forward.
- The convoluted and inconsistent nature of King Crimson's abilities has become infamous among fans, with the phrase "it just works" often being used to facetiously handwave the long-standing lack of a clear and concise explanation.
- Concept art featured in the JOJOVELLER "History" booklet includes an early design of King Crimson, which lacks Epitaph (but still has the bump on its forehead where Epitaph would normally be) and has a facial structure appearing to be based off of a human skull, as well as what appears to be a hood (possibly inspired by the classical figure of Death).
- While mostly based off of the progressive 60's rock band, King Crimson, this stand and it's user share similarities with a character in a variety of Stephen King's novels, specifically InsomniaW in which case the main antagonist is "The Crimson King", a dark and malevolent demon similar to It (from another of King's novels), attempts to kill a child named Patrick Danville, who is prophesied to bring about the downfall of the Crimson King. A similar circumstance to Diavolo's desire to destroy Trish Una, his daughter, for fear that she will expose him. And much like the Crimson King from Insomnia, he uses others as pawns to achieve this end.
- Although King Crimson’s ability is called “Time Erasure” a more accurate name for the ability would be “Time Compression” as the ability seems to make a select period of time happen so fast that it is impossible to comprehend the shift, rather than deleting time, this would also explaining how King Crimson was able to reverse time when Jean-Pierre Polnareff attempted to escape from him as he simply compressed time backwards instead of forward as he usually does.