|“||Compared to trust, someone being smart or talented is as significant as this piece of chewed-up cracker scum between my teeth...||”|
Polpo (ポルポ Porupo) is a minor character and antagonist featured in Vento Aureo.
Polpo is the first of Passione's capoW that Giorno Giovanna encounters and is responsible for recruiting new members in his division. He then tasks Giorno to keep a lighter lit for 24 hours as a test. Polpo is a Stand User and his Black Sabbath automatically attacks Giorno during said test.
Polpo is a massive and morbidly obese man easily towering over regular people, having an exaggeratedly large head proportional to the rest of his body. His most recognizable features are his black eyes with bright pupils and pointy nose.
Polpo wears a cap with multiple mushroom-shaped protrusions, a bracelet on his right wrist and a two-layered tunic laced at the bottom. The anime adaptation replaces the lacing with a motif repeating the crest symbol found on each side of his chest.
Polpo makes an appearance in the one-shot with a changed appearance. He is now one head shorter than average.
Polpo wears a bright blue jacket and dotted white shirt and brown trousers. His hat is portrayed as green.
Polpo acts like a typical Mafia don, showing an affable side and an appreciation for various works of art, quoting philosophers and gastronomy. His table manners are, however, lacking, showing that his sophistication is superficial.
Polpo places great emphasis on one's trustworthiness, considering it the most important characteristic of a good gangster. In reality, Polpo considers his subordinates as a tool to be used to further his position. Likewise, he preaches that giving due respect is paramount and argues that even God wouldn't object to murdering someone for not showing proper respect, linking it to his ideal of trustworthiness.
He shows a very keen sense of awareness, deducing Giorno's injury from the marks on his hands and even how Bruno Bucciarati "told him" that Giorno wanted to join, despite not meeting him prior and Giorno proclaiming his initiation moments before meeting him.
- Main article: Black Sabbath
Polpo's Black Sabbath is a long range automated Stand that can travel in an object's shadows.
Illusionism: Polpo shows a talent for illusionism, hiding in his room despite his size and seemingly eating his fingers to suddenly pull out a lighter from his hand.
Polpo is first seen serving fifteen years in prison when Giorno Giovanna approaches and tells him that he wants to join Passione. Being in the high ranking position of capo in Passione, his job is giving orders, from the boss, to other subordinates, as well as testing new recruits who want to join the gang. Polpo's means of initiation into Passione is keeping a flame lit for 24 hours; with that, he gives Giorno the lighter.
Polpo unwittingly shoots himself in the mouth with a gun which Giorno had disguised as a banana. This was an act of vengeance for having his Stand, Black Sabbath, carelessly cause the death of an innocent old man. This also destroys the Arrow in his Stand's mouth. As Polpo dies, Giorno, far removed from the scene, tells him to "savor [his] last meal".
Chapters / Episodes
Chapters in order of appearance
Episodes in order of appearance
Polpo makes his game debut in the PS2 title. He only appears in the two cutscenes involving his introduction and suicide at the hands of Giorno. Black Sabbath however, is faced in Chapter 3.
- The two particular paintings Polpo has are Van GoughW's The Church at AuversW, and GauguinW's Vairumati.
- Polpo biting off the tips of his right index and middle finger might be a reference to Tony Iommi, the founding member of the Black Sabbath, a namesake of Polpo's Stand: namely, on his last day of work in a steel factory, before going on a tour with his newly-founded band, Tony had the tips of his fingers completely chopped of by a machine in an accident, and replaced them with homemade prostheses made out of plastic bottle caps, requiring him to downtune his guitar to play it, creating their signature sound and helping to define modern metal music.
- It is possible that he bites his finger to create the lighter with his Stand, since it appeared right after this scene and Giorno thought it was Stand related.
- The manga showed that one capo was in charge of both the assassination and bodyguard teams. Since the anime revealed that the Bucciarati Team was the bodyguard section of the gang, it means that Polpo was also in charge of the Squadra Esecuzioni Stand team and no other.
- ↑ 
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Chapter 448: Meet the Gangster Beyond the Wall, Part 1
- ↑ Chapter 449: Meet the Gangster Beyond the Wall, Part 2
- ↑ Chapter 455: Gang Enrollment, Part 6
|Vento Aureo Characters|