The cry is suggested or depicted as being made in a similar rhythm and intensity with the attack of the Stand, which is usually very rapid, strong, and unbroken.
The Stand Cry is among the trademarks of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, as many central Stand users have one.
It is presumed that the Stand Cry originated from Fist of the North StarFW; in which protagonist KenshiroFW (in a style after film star Bruce LeeW) typically throws very rapid punches while crying "ATATATATATATATA ... UATA!".
The most popular and common cry, "ORA ... !", originates from noises in progressive rock songs that Araki liked, like from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, which he wrote down phonetically. Meanwhile DIO and Giorno's cry, "MUDA ... !", is the Japanese word for "useless" while the "Wryyy"s come from noises Araki heard in Horror movies, like Psycho. Others come from English and Italian.
Earlier in the series, in a style common to action-oriented manga, certain characters would scream the names of their attacks (including Jonathan Joestar, Joseph Joestar and Dio Brando); so it is possible that the Stand Cry follows from this.
|Jotaro Kujo||Star Platinum||ORAORAORA ... !|
|Jean Pierre Polnareff||Silver Chariot||HORAHORAHORA ... ! (JP)
ComeOnComeOnComeOn ... ! (ENG)
|Dio Brando||The World||MUDAMUDAMUDA ... ! (Followed by "WRYYY!" twice, and a "WRYYYAAAAAAA!" during one attack)|
|Josuke Higashikata||Crazy Diamond||DORARARA ... !|
|Yoshikage Kira||Killer Queen||SHIBOBOBO ... !|
|Giorno Giovanna||Gold Experience (Requiem)||MUDAMUDAMUDA ... ! WRYYY! (once)|
|Bruno Bucciarati||Sticky Fingers||ARIARIARI ... ! ARRIVEDERCI!|
|Leone Abbacchio||Moody Blues||URYAAAAA ... !|
|Pannacotta Fugo||Purple Haze||UBASHAAAAAAA ... !|
|Narancia Ghirga||Aerosmith||VOLAVOLAVOLA ... ! VOLARE VIA!|
|Trish Una||Spice Girl||WAAAAANNABEEEEEEEEEE ... !|
|Secco||Oasis||OAAAAAAAAAAASIS ... !|
|Sheila E||Voodoo Child||ERIERIERI ... !|
|Jolyne Cujoh||Stone Free||ORAORAORA ... !|
|Ermes Costello||Kiss||OSHAAAAAAA ... !|
|Enrico Pucci||Whitesnake||UOSHAAAA ... !|
|Johnny Joestar||Tusk||ORAORAORA ... !|
|Diego Brando||Scary Monsters||USHAAAAAA ... !|
|Diego Brando from Another Universe||THE WORLD (Steel Ball Run)||MUDAMUDAMUDA ... !|
|Josuke Higashikata (JoJolion)||Soft & Wet||ORAORAARA ... ! (Mostly identical to previous "ORA" cries but occasionally an "ORA" is changed to "ARA".)|
|Yoshikage Kira (JoJolion)||Killer Queen (JoJolion)||WRYYYYYEEEEAH ... !|
|Jobin Higashikata||Speed King||SPEEEYYYYAHH ... !|
- "Ora" is also used by many non-Stand users, such as Jonathan Joestar, Joseph Joestar and Gyro Zeppeli and is interpreted as a sort of grunting sound.
- Additionally, Giorno and Jolyne's cries are identical to their fathers, DIO and Jotaro's; Giorno also shares his father's "Wryyy" screech.
- Tusk's and Soft & Wet's battle cries are also references to Star Platinum's.
- Excluding Polnareff and Bruno Bucciarati, who were introduced as antagonists before becoming allies, DIO, Kira, Alternate Universe Diego, and Jobin are the only antagonists to have a Stand Cry.
- Sheila E is the first novel-only character with a Stand Cry.
- Polnareff's cry can be translated to "Hey!" or "Come on!"
- The cries belonging to Bucciarati and Narancia are derived from Italian words.
- Bucciarati's means "Goodbye!" and "Farewell!"
- Narancia's cry translates as "Fly away!"
- Trish Una's cry derives from the Spice Girls'W single "Wannabe."
- Secco's cry is the only cry which includes the name of the Stand