- For a similar character, see THE WORLD (Steel Ball Run)
|“||The World's true power, as its name suggests, is to reign supreme over the entire world!||”|
A humanoid Stand, The World is tall and has a very muscular build. It wears a headpiece covering its face to below the place of its nose, slanting at a steep angle from the base of its forehead to a peak situated above the rear of its head by about half its height, leaving the face of an inverted triangle visible to the front; somewhat similar to the Red Crown of Lower Egypt.
It wears small, simple twin diving cylinders on its back, connecting via short, twin-ridged cables to the rear of its mask; perhaps secured by thick, ridged or puffered straps running from the rear of its waist over both its shoulders to its front. The back of both its hands bear the shape of a simple clock face. Its chin, the base of its abdomen, its crotch and its knees are topped by heart shapes. Plates on its shins, its footwear bears curved, sharply-pointed toes, similar to those of DIO's outfit in Part 3.
In the colored manga, The World is completely yellow. In the anime, it is grey-skinned and has golden clothes. In the OVA, The World is grey-skinned and ivory clothes.
It is named for the Tarot card The World, the last card in the Major Arcana and symbolic of tectonic chance: the beginning of a new world order. Even before its actual appearance, its rumored power was enough to strike fear and instill loyalty in DIO's followers.
The World shows no particular personality, although it occasionally smiles as it pummels others. Its Stand cry, seemingly communicated by DIO, is Muda Muda Muda! (無駄 無駄 無駄!, lit. "Useless, useless, useless!")
The World is an exceptionally powerful Close-range Stand much like Star Platinum as noted by Noriaki Kakyoin and Jotaro Kujo, but boasting an effective manifestation range of 10m. Despite requiring a close distance to inflict damage, its overwhelming physical might and near unstoppable control over time undeniably makes it one of the most dangerous Stands in the entire series.
Super Strength/Senses/Speed/Precision: The World possesses phenomenal strength, senses, and incredible speed, being able to easily punch Kakyoin right through his abdomen. DIO claims that The World is even stronger and faster than Star Platinum, since it bested the latter in a clash of rapid punches between the two. However, it is unclear if this is an aspect of DIO's vampiric nature or simply having greater experience with his Stand. Its main offense is generally characterized by a flurry of speedy punches and the occasional kick.
The World's signature power is its ability to stop time, allowing only itself, DIO and anyone with the same power, to act within the duration of stopped time.
In the stopped time, DIO can move his own body freely along with any object he touches that he wishes to move, allowing him to strike his defenseless enemies, move to a superior position, and toy with his victims. The objects that DIO throws can momentarily move during stopped time before stopping, thus a flurry of thrown knives could fly for several meters before stopping near Jotaro.
It is notable that DIO needs to consciously activate Time Stop, which means that surprise attacks can prevent him from stopping time.
Because of DIO's weakened state during Part 3, this ability initially only works for up to 5 seconds in DIO's frame of reference before time flows again. However, thanks to DIO's immortality, the duration of stopped time increases as DIO becomes more accustomed to The World and the scar around his neck heals, reaching a maximum of nine seconds towards the end of Part 3. However, had he not died, the period during for which DIO could have stopped time would have continued to grow, seemingly indefinitely.
Chapters / Episodes
Chapters in order of appearance
Episodes in order of appearance
Eyes of Heaven
- The World's name and power and the stair scene with Polnareff are a possible reference to the song "Stargazer" by Ronnie James Dio (DIO's namesake), verse 3:
- "All eyes see the figure of the wizard" "As he climbs to the top of the world" "No sound, as he falls instead of rising" "Time standing still, then there's blood on the sand"
- The design also may be a reference to the Song "Holy Diver" also by Ronnie James Dio.
- The World was the first Stand to be created and designed by Araki, specifically to contrast with Jotaro's Star Platinum from the very beginning.
- Coincidentally, the tarot card of The World was at one point referred to as "Time" in the Court de GébelinW deck.
- ↑ Chapter 690: Jail House Rock! (1), pp.7
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Chapter 256, DIO's World Part 10
- ↑ Chapter 263, DIO's World Part 17
- ↑ Chapter 252, DIO's World Part 6
- ↑ Chapter 253, DIO's World Part 7
- ↑ Chapter 258, DIO's World Part 12
- ↑ Chapter 260, DIO's World Part 14
- ↑ Chapter 255, DIO's World Part 9
- ↑ Chapter 262, DIO's World Part 16
- ↑ JoJo 6251 Stand Encyclopedia, P.124
- ↑ JOJOVELLER: STANDS - Comments by Hirohiko Araki
- ↑ Tarotology: Order of the TrumpsW