FANDOM


  • I just noticed this detail in the manga and it's confusing me. I always heard people say that Hamon became obselete once Stands were introduced because hamon can't effect stands. Right? Well...

    During the short fight between DIO and Joseph in the rooftops, we see DIO feels threatened when he's about to punch Joseph but realises he's hiding Hamon-charged Hermit Purple under his shirt. But only now did I realise It wasn't DIO's punch, it was the World's! Does this imply that Hamon can hurt stands? Or is it just that the Hamon conducting into the World would also conduct into DIO (since effecting the stand = effecting the user) and hurt him?

    I'm guessing it's the later. Thoughts?

      Loading editor
    • Probably the latter. 

        Loading editor
    • Even if hamon couldn't hurt stands I doubt DIO would be so careless to attack without knowing that for sure.

        Loading editor
    • It is worth noting that Joseph tried to use it on the Empress. The Stand says that it failed because it was apart of Joseph at the time, but that also implies that it would have worked otherwise, or at least Joseph thought it would.

        Loading editor
    • That's a very good point, maybe hamon and stands have enough common ground for hamon to work.

        Loading editor
    • If you hurt a stand, you hurt the user. This only would work against vampire stand users, so that little interaction between joseph and dio was really all there is about Hamon affecting Stands

        Loading editor
    • The narrator in part 2 pretty much explains that pure Hamon only effects humans like strong sunlight; it gives them pins and needles but with overexposure can cause them to faint. If using Hamon on the World could've harmed Dio, then it stands to reason that using it on Empress would've had the same effect on Nena as Hamon on a normal human. So maybe Joseph was trying to make Nena faint, which would cause Empress to "deactivate" like stands do when the user is unconsious.

      But I guess that's just my headcanon.

        Loading editor
    • Joseph used Hamon against The Lovers and it worked.....buuuut it didn't hurt Hierophant Green or Silver Chariot

        Loading editor
    • BaronBlackFalcon wrote:
      Joseph used Hamon against The Lovers and it worked.....buuuut it didn't hurt Hierophant Green or Silver Chariot


      Are you talking about Dio's flesh bud?

        Loading editor
    • MetallicKaiser wrote:
      BaronBlackFalcon wrote:
      Joseph used Hamon against The Lovers and it worked.....buuuut it didn't hurt Hierophant Green or Silver Chariot


      Are you talking about Dio's flesh bud?


      NO, Steely Dan's Stand

        Loading editor
    • BaronBlackFalcon wrote:
      MetallicKaiser wrote:
      BaronBlackFalcon wrote:
      Joseph used Hamon against The Lovers and it worked.....buuuut it didn't hurt Hierophant Green or Silver Chariot


      Are you talking about Dio's flesh bud?


      NO, Steely Dan's Stand


      Joseph used Ripple after Lovers left his body. That was also only in the Anime.

        Loading editor
    • I recall that both stands and hamon work in essentially the same way; they both are related to the user's breath and fortitude. But, considering this, it would kind of like using fire against fire, and probably not too effective unless it comes into contact with the user's original body.

        Loading editor
    • For hamon to work on a stand or stand, you have to use your stand to punch or effect them with it, i dont think it would work on just a regular person

        Loading editor
    • Hamon can be extended through Stands to various degrees, too. It always seemed that Star Platinum and Hermit Purple could use hamon as an extension of themselves.

        Loading editor
    • DIO was only cautious about punching Joseph because of the fact that Hermit Purple had Hamon infused with it while it was wrapped around him. Only Stands can hurt Stands, and since Hermit Purple was infused with Hamon at the time, it would’ve hurt The World and DIO. If Joseph simply tried punching The World back with a normal Hamon punch, he would’ve died right then and there.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah Hamon can only affect a Stand if it's channeled through another Stand.

      Let's imagine Jotaro could use Hamon for a second. Star Platinum punching another Stand with a Hamon infused punch would be the same thing (let's ignore SP's super strength for a second) as Joseph punching a normal person with a Hamon strike. The Stand user and the normal person would both feel the effects of the Hamon on their body, but the former only because the Hamon came from another Stand.

        Loading editor
    • Alma de fernon wrote:
      If you hurt a stand, you hurt the user. This only would work against vampire stand users, so that little interaction between joseph and dio was really all there is about Hamon affecting Stands

      Not true, Hamon is a weapon that can be used against anybody. It just happens to be a main weakness of Vampires, Pillar Men and the like. When Joseph fought Uber Kars at the end of part 2, Kars injured him with his much stronger hamon, producing a similar burning effect to that the Pillar Men/Vampires experienced. Though not often, hamon has been used againts humans and can possibly hurt stand users as well.

        Loading editor
    • I think it would only work against Purple Haze, well more specificaly: He's haze

      It is sed that when his haze is under direct sunlight it dies and Hamon  is practicly sunlight.

        Loading editor
    • Purple Haze isn't haze. Capsules on his fist carry a virus. Where are you getting this info?

        Loading editor
    • I think he was trying to say that hamon would kill the virus, since the virus dies quickly to sunlight, much like vampires.

      (specifically his haze instead of he's)

        Loading editor
    • 1. Hamon is a very useful tool to its users that works on everyone (but with varying effects)

      2. Hamon can be channeled through various objects (like stands)

      3. DIO was more cautious of Joseph than any other character in Part 3 because he knew that he would try to use Hamon in a way that would be disadvantageous to him

        Loading editor
    • Stands aren't objects. If they were, they probably wouldn't be able to move through objects. Think about it, if a fist goes through a stand, how is hamon going to be able to channel through it? 

        Loading editor
    • Hamon affect Hermit Purple so yes and All Star Battle And Eyes Of Heaven 

        Loading editor
    • Kyuketsuki Kaito wrote:

      Hamon affect Hermit Purple so yes and All Star Battle And Eyes Of Heaven 

      You should maybe explain that more, because that is an extremely broken and undetailed sentence. Especially since ASB and EOH are noncanon.

        Loading editor
    • REMENBER THAT JOSEPH USE HERMIT PURPLE WITH HAMON .HAMON ONLY AFFECT ALIVE CREATURES REMENBER THAT CEASER SAID: THE HAMON CANNOT AFFECT THE ROCK. AND IF STAND ARE LIVE CREATURES BECAUSE Stands are living creatures because in man in the mirror fight purple haze coudn't go inside the mirror because Illuso just let Fugo go in  the mirror AND STAND ARE LIVING CREATURES AND HAMON CAN ONLY AFFECT LIVING CREATURES SO YES

      and my eglish is very bad because i'm not from USA i'm from Brasil

        Loading editor
    • And remender that stands affect human but humans don't affect stands 

        Loading editor
    • The ability to transmit hamon through stands is something that seems to be Hermit Purple's side ability. Especially since during Part 3, Araki had decided to go with the idea that stands are just spirit hamon. In Part 5 this was changed, so Hermit Purple is less of an example and more of a side affect of Araki being inconsistent. Infact, a lot of these kind of arguments begin because the guy is just not consistent and changes his mind on the spot.

      None of your examples of stands being living make sense. Man In The Mirror allows for stands to be forbidden out, but can still be brought in, as shown by how Illuso accidentally brought in Moody Blues. Also, I don't see how humans not being able to affect stands proves your argument.

        Loading editor
    • Since you can hit, but not damage stands with mundane objects, and both stands and hamon are considered "life energy" it would make sense that if you were channeling hamon into an object and hit a stand, it would damage it. Hamon also isn't just sunlight energy, it can be used as kinetic energy (enough force to counter the strength of a bullet). So while the sunlight part of hamon can't affect humans, the kinetic energy could be distributed into the stand, damaging it.

        Loading editor
    • And Joseph didn't use it to fight cause he was hella out of practice

        Loading editor
    • GoldBacon wrote:
      And Joseph didn't use it to fight cause he was hella out of practice

      Joseph can use it whenever he chooses to, he just doesn't because Hamon is unconventional against a non-vampire stand user. He used Hamon but to no effect against Empress in part 3, since Empress or its user are vampires. However, he defeated the user using his own Stand Hermit Purple. I'd hardly call a man swinging through a city out of practice let alone a Joestar. Another example is when Dio Retired Joseph by using knives because Joseph was channeling Hamon with Hermit Purple. Joseph definitely isn't out of practice.

        Loading editor
    • I'm guessing that if you use an arrow after learning Hamon, you'd get something like Hermit Purple. Though, if you use an arrow before learning Hamon, you'd probably get a Hamon-infused stand, maybe Hamon-infused Star Platinum? Something like that, maybe a power boost for the user.

        Loading editor
    • I'm guessing that if you use an arrow after learning Hamon, you'd get something like Hermit Purple. Though, if you use an arrow before learning Hamon, you'd probably get a Hamon-infused stand, maybe Hamon-infused Star Platinum? Something like that, maybe a power boost for the user.

        Loading editor
    • Why life energy woldn't affect life energy ?

      "Indeed Jotaro, what you have called an "evil spirit" is but a powerful vision created by your own life energy! And since it stands next to you, it is called... a Stand!" Joseph Part 3

      "However while all materials can conduct the Ripple more or less well, inorganic material such as metal cannot store the energy, which simply passes through." This Wiki

      So a physical attack like Rebuff Overdrive doesn't cause the damage just the Ripple in the attack.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.